Cellulite occurs when fatty deposits push through the connective tissue, resulting in a lumpy, bumpy texture rather than smooth skin.
What Causes Cellulite?
Contrary to popular opinion, women of all shapes and sizes can get this condition. Women are genetically predisposed to cellulite due to the weaker connective tissue in their thigh, hip and bum area. In addition, oestrogen stimulates fat tissue, stopping the breakdown of fat cells and reducing circulation which results in water retention in problem areas. Furthermore, it commonly occurs post-puberty for women, although it can appear worse after pregnancy as well. Nonetheless, it tends to become more prominent as you age simply because visibility is down to the thinning of the skin. It is a normal part of every woman’s anatomical and physiological development.
Although we have also listed a few other elements which can cause cellulite:
- Poor diet
- Fad dieting
- Slow metabolism
- Lack of physical activity
- Hormone changes
- Total body fat
- Thickness of skin
Top Tips for Treating Cellulite
Dry body brushing for two minutes every morning is a great way to help reduce that dimpled and lumpy appearance. But if you don’t have the time for this, using exfoliating gloves in the shower can help boost circulation. Make sure to remember to massage upwards towards your heart to improve circulation.
ZO Skin Health’s Oraser® Cellulite Control Body Smoothing Creme has an instant firming effect to visibly improve the texture and appearance of cellulite. Ideal for use on the hips, thighs, buttocks, stomach and any other problem areas. This creme smooths skin, provides a slimming effect, a toning effect and helps to diminish that ‘orange peel’ appearance. Working around the clock to prevent new cellulite, it helps to improve microcirculation and reduce skin contour as well as restoring hydration and encouraging collagen production to firm skin and support a healthy skin barrier function.
The best way to understand how this incredible cellulite cream can do what it does is by looking at how the ingredients work to treat the skin.
- Plankton extract: Increases cellular and tissue metabolism to improve muscle tone. Also, provides a slimming and toning effect.
- Saccharide isomerate: Minimises new ‘nightly’ fat deposits from accumulating by interrupting the bodies natural circadian rhythms. It also stimulates new collagen for added firming benefits.
- Methylsilanol carboxymethyl theophylline alginate: Improves microcirculation and skin contour by inhibiting fat storing enzyme (Lipoprotein Lipase – LPL).
- Phosphatidylcholine: Up-regulates fat destroying lipase enzymes. This is commonly used in Mesotherapy procedures.
- Caffeine, coenzyme A and carnitine: Enhance the metabolism to accelerate the breakdown of fat tissue.
- Chondrus crispus (carrageenan) extract: Provides instant firming and tightening to visibly improve skin texture and the appearance of cellulite.
- Glycerin and betaine: Keeps skin hydrated and restores a healthy skin barrier.
Interval training is recommended as the best way to help break down fat, boost circulation and consequently give you a smoother more toned appearance.
A form of deep-tissue massage is one of the most effective non-surgical treatments. It can help to boost circulation and thus diminish the appearance of cellulite.