So you’ve made the decision to get a peel. You know all the ins-and-outs of what takes place during the treatment but do you know what to do before your facial peel or even after? Here’s how to make the most of your peel and ensure you get the full benefits and best result.
Before Your Facial Peel
4-6 Weeks Prior to Treatment
To enhance the results of your peel, your physician should start you on a ZO® program based on your skin type. For patients with a high risk of pigmentation problems, your physician may recommend some form of bleaching and correcting creme.
5-7 days Prior to Peel
Avoid any form of laser hair removal, electrolysis, waxing or use of depilatory creams.
3-4 days Before Your Facial Peel Treatment
Discontinue the use of topical retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, beta hydroxy acids, benzoyl peroxide, retinol and other potentially irritating products.
N.B: If you have had any procedure such as IPL, laser or microdermabrasion, avoid having a peel treatment until your skin has completely healed.
After Your Facial Peel
- Don’t panic! Redness, stinging, itching, tightness, mild swelling, flaking, and peeling, are all normal reactions following a peel. The severity of these responses varies for each individual.
- Exfoliation generally will start 2-3 days after treatment and ends by approximately day 5.
- Avoid rubbing, scratching or peeling/picking the skin with your fingers while healing
- For at least 7 to 10 days following the peel, avoid direct sun exposure to best allow your skin to fully heal. If at any time throughout the healing process direct sun exposure cannot be avoided, use Oclipse-C Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 protection as necessary. Apply very lightly and gently to avoid premature exfoliation.
- Besides the Retinol Crème, do not use alpha hydroxy acids, beta hydroxy acids, benzoyl peroxide, retinoids and other potentially irritating products until the skin has fully healed.
- You should also avoid running water directly on your face while showering.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and consequent sweating until the skin has completely healed.
- Do not have any other procedures such as facials, hair removal, microdermabrasion and lasers until the skin has fully healed.
- Once your skin has healed, return to the daily ZO® program your physician would have recommended.